Sharing 365 life lessons, tips, or hacks; the things that make life easier, happier, and more productive. I hope you’ll follow along and find them helpful too.
Activate for a day
How do you find purpose in life? One sure fire way is to become involved in a cause. Working to save the planet, animals, clean water, personal freedoms, borders, etc., will surely boost your sense of purpose. Thousands of animals are saved and replaced each year because of the love and support of people working to save them. Millions of gallons of clean water are provided to people in need because someone is dedicated to that initiative. Millions upon millions of people have marched over the years in support of a cause that they felt loyal toward.
It’s possible that activism is more prevalent today than at any other time since the Vietnam War. In part because of our current political climate but also because the need for sustainable support is significant around the globe.
What does it mean to be an activist? By definition, it is a “person who campaigns to bring about political or social change” and it can be accomplished in a myriad of ways.
- Make a poster and walk with it; stand on a busy street corner with it; post it in your window or yard.
- Spend a day calling the ‘powers that be’ – the president of a company, or your elected officials.
- Engage in a letter writing campaign.
- Find out what type of supplies your ‘cause’ uses and shop for /donate them in person.
- Take to social media for a day and post articles and/or memes that demonstrate the needs or points of view of your ‘cause’.
- Start a petition.
- Start a blog about your ‘cause’.
- Join a group invested in your ‘cause’.
These are but a few methods of involving yourself in an activity that serves something you care about and they are starting points. An argument I hear a lot is ‘one person can’t make a difference’ but truly… it only takes ONE person’s idea or love of something to get a ball rolling. In fact, most radical change is accomplished when a MINORITY of people get on the same bandwagon and make noise. What do you care about? What cause or group of people stimulate your values or moral beliefs? What are you outraged about? What breaks your heart?
Think what might change if every single one of us got up and became committed to ACT on a ‘cause’ close to our hearts. If you are not currently contributing any time or talent on behalf of someone other than yourself, I encourage you to…
Activate for a day.
I love hearing your thoughts and ideas. Please share in the comments below.